Dyspraxia and DIY
I have Dyspraxia (also known as Developmental Co-ordination Disorder/DCD and Perceptuo-Motor Dysfunction) which is not very well known and is described as being:
“An impairment or immaturity of the organisation of movement. It is an immaturity in the way that the brain processes information, which results in messages not being properly or fully transmitted. Dyspraxia affects the planning of what to do and how to do it. It is associated with problems of perception, language and thought.”
I wanted to redo a scruffy looking viv belonging to Hige but was a little cautious - things go wrong more often than right with Dyspraxia and DIY! The viv itself was custom made by the previous owner from what i believe was a cabinet. I wanted to make it 100% suitable for Hige to live in but also have it function as a decorative piece of furniture to suit the room. You can see the original version in the second picture and the changes in the rest. What did i do you ask? Well I:
- Built a second ledge for increasing space, adding an extra hide and basking on closer to the UVB.
- Replaced the reptile carpet with easy to clean rough textured lino.
- Added a few bits such as a climbing half log for basking on and slate for warm spots.
- Re-painted the exterior ‘wild flower purple’ to make it look a little neater
- Added some cool black stenciled designs.
- Got covered in paint. Head to toe. (Mostly toe & hands).
All in all i’m pretty happy with it. Its not exactly what i pictured in my head but it’s close enough - sometimes you have to know your limits and what you are actually genuinely capable of with Dyspraxia. It looks a hell of a lot less scruffy and much neater i reckon :D